Thursday, January 26, 2006

addictions... beware


I tend not to sleep a whole lot sometimes. I go through phases. This is one of those nights...

I lie there staring up at the ceiling, thinking, praying... and then I get up and study my Bible and feed my soul, quench my thirst. (that would NOT be with coffee... and you would never catch my husband kneeling beside my bed saying "Your java, sweet princess.")

THis time I contemplated addictions. I come from an addiction prone family... alcohol, drugs, etc.

I began contemplating mine and the ease with which my mind sinfully falls towards blame-shifting.

What are mine? Caffeine is certainly one. Sadly one. And sadly, the first thing that popped in my head. I am addicted to God's Word... which is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as I do not let it take over. Well, that can be what "addiction" is about, isn't it? Obsession. Allowing it to take over. Writing is another. My family. None of these things, necessarily bad in and of themselves(except maybe caffeine)... until they "take over." Perhaps there are other "addictions" that those close to me could quickly point out.
So what did I study this time in God's Word? Well, knowing that there is no place for complacency in a Christians life... it is a constant, diligent effort to practice godliness and pursue righteousness... I meditated on 2 Peter 3:11-18 (which goes well with my study on Revelation.)
My "addictions" may not seem so bad in light of "most" women's... e.g. shopping, TV, food. Besides the fact that I abhor shopping, don't really get into TV and food... well, okay... I really like salsa.
But that is what we do isn't it? We compare what we are doing according to the standards of the world instead of according to God's standards?
Aah... "Beware, lest you (Lisa) fall away from your steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ."

1 Comments:

Blogger ramona said...

We are so weak, in our own strength, are we not? My daily prayer is for God to be my Strength, as I am indeed so weak. Addictions and obsessions are so easy to fall into, and so hard to pull away from.

I have a rare neurological illness that I recently discovered is heavily affected by caffeine. I had only been drinking one diet soda each morning, so I thought I was "safe". Yet, for me, it was an addiction. Chocolate, too, sadly enough.

God has given me the strength to cut both of these items totally out of my diet - for this I am so thankful. I could not do it on my own, as I am weak. I find myself thinking lately, "Oh, just one soda won't matter, will it?" Honestly, at this point, one soda could put me in the ER. God is indeed my strength.

Thank you, Lisa, for pondering in your sleepless nights.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home