Sunday, February 05, 2006

God NEEDS me?

According to Pink in regards to GOD'S INHERITANCE in "Comfort for
Christians", Pink states, "...there is something that GOD needs, namely, vessels. Just as the sun needs the earth to shine upon, so God needs vessels to fill, vessels through which HIS glory may be reflected, vessels in which the riches of HIS grace may be lavished..."

I am struggling with this.

Perhaps it is because I am misinterpreting what Pink is saying, but it seems clear.
Is God a glory seeker?
It seems my GOD does not require the strokes of my approval.
I know that I am called to glorify HIM and enjoy HIM forever... but what does that mean?

Does HE really NEED me to glorify Him? It seems that GOD does NOT need me to accomplish HIS work or even glorify HIM ("If the crowds become silent, these stones would cry out."-Lk.19:) but IT DELIGHTS HIM. I am to walk in obedience and glorify HIM... not to "help" HIM as though HE needed anything... He is GOD. He is self sufficient.
But as a bird flies, a fish swims, I am purposed to glorify HIM.

Psalm 8 says, "O LORD, our Lord, How majestic is Your name in all the earth, Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens! From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength Because of Your adversaries, To make the enemy and the revengeful cease. When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained; What is man that You take thought of him, And the son of man that You care for him? Yet You have made him a little lower than God, And You crown him with glory and majesty! You make him to rule over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet, All sheep and oxen, And also the beasts of the field, The birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea, Whatever passes through the paths of the seas. O LORD, our Lord, How majestic is Your name in all the earth! "

My only right to heaven lies in Christ. How can I not give praise and glory to my GOD for adopting me because of HIS SON.

God doesn't need me. I need HIM.

Psalm 86:8-15 says, "There is no one like You among the gods, O Lord, Nor are there any works like Yours. All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, O Lord, And they shall glorify Your name. For You are great and do wondrous deeds; You alone are God. Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name. I will give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Your name forever. For Your lovingkindness toward me is great, And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. O God, arrogant men have risen up against me, And a band of violent men have sought my life, And they have not set You before them. But You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, Slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness and truth. "

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob Edwards said...

Assuming that Pink really meant that God needed something, he is wrong. For God to need anything would imply that He was incomplete in some way, that He was lacking in perfection.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

"Does HE really NEED me to glorify Him? It seems that GOD does NOT need me to accomplish HIS work or even glorify HIM ("If the crowds become silent, these stones would cry out."-Lk.19:) but IT DELIGHTS HIM. I am to walk in obedience and glorify HIM... not to "help" HIM as though HE needed anything... He is GOD. He is self sufficient.
But as a bird flies, a fish swims, I am purposed to glorify HIM."

What a great point! We are given the opportunity to delight God, to please him. What a blessing for us!

Warmly,
Kate

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home