Wednesday, February 15, 2006

What need is there of grace?...

If man has the free will to "choose" it?
When a "carnal Christian" comes in view essentially destroying the work of grace, making obedience and submission to Christ "optional"... then truly, what is the point of grace.
Are we not to be "a witness to the life of grace in the soul"? a "picture of grace embodied in a vessel of clay"... a "living proof of a living God"?
"fire insurance" salvation...
"carnal" Christianity ...
"open-theism"...
"arminianism"...
I could go on...
are truly the offspring of satan.
To clarify... I am not implying here that those who are Arminian or Open Thiestic are unregenerate... see the comments if you want to understand what I mean here. However, I do not believe carnal Christianity exists, nor should "fire insurance" salvation (a.k.a. "easy-believism") be thought of as a ticket into heaven with no need of fruit... obedience, submission to Christ.
"Good works are not a cause of salvation, but a consequence of the Holy Spirit’s work. Without good works, the Holy Spirit is not at work in the sanctification of the believer. And, absent the indwelling presence and ministry of the Spirit, the believer is only a nominal believer--unregenerate, if not reprobate."- That is a quote from The Triablogue... where you can feast on meat! http://triablogue.blogspot.com/2004/09/chosen-but-free-1.html

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I don't know what to make of your "offspring of satan" comment, but your post reminds me of the scripture where Paul says in Romans:

Romans 6:1-3 (New American Standard Bible)

"What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?"

May we who know His grace continue to walk in it, and not choose to mock it.

Warmly,
Kate

7:25 PM  
Blogger 4given said...

Perhaps saying offspring of man's flesh for we are so depraved, we do not even need satan's influence to be deceived for we are drawn away by our own desires...

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Even though I am reformed, and heartily so, I cannot be the one to say that an Arminian is not saved by God's grace. He may not *understand* God's grace, but I don't think it is up to us to say who is saved and who is not.

Perhaps I read your posting wrong. That is what I read you post to say - that you were equating the unregenerate man (offspring of satan) with an Arminian believer. I cannot go that far for I once was one and know many who I think are sincere believers in the saving power of Christ.

While *I* didn't understand the inner-workings of His total grace - that it was all of Him and none of me - it didn't negate the truth of it.

Warmly,
Kate

9:44 PM  
Blogger 4given said...

I do not want to come across as one claiming that an "Arminian" is unregenerate... I did not say "Arminians" or "open theists", etc. are satans off-spring... but the "-ism" of it is certainly a man-centered doctrine that negates the incomprehensible, wonderous, complete, sovereign work of God.
I, too, once embraced arminianism. And I do not take a "holier than thou" attitude regarding being a doctrines of grace gal... for I know what I deserve. So forgive me if I may have come across to you as unrighteously judgemental. But we are called to discern, to be as Bereans, to know what we believe and why, to live it out, not just know it... to righteously judge... all in love... without forsaking truth.

10:38 PM  
Blogger 4given said...

And as a woman raising 6 children, it is my calling to know what I believe and why, for I, as their teacher, will be held to a higher standard of judgement and do fear offending my God, and I will defend His truth.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home